I get asked a lot what my process is when designing things, it’s a bit different for every project but I have a procedure I try and go with every time I can. Doing these few key things always helps me achieve a better outcome.
- Talk to the person in charge of what you’re designing. This seems simple but I like to talk as much as I can with the client to get an idea of what kind of person they are, their likes/dislikes, and what they envision.
- Keywords. I really like getting keywords that the client wants to use to describe their business. What words do they want to come to mind when people see their logo or design? Do they want strong or delicate? Bright or sophisticated and demure? These things help nail down some of the more fluid points of design for me, perhaps color scheme or style, etc
- Sketching. Before taking my ideas to the computer I like to sketch as much as I possibly can. This helps me generate more ideas in a short span of time as well as helping me pick a direction. I find my ideas come rapidly and while sketching I’ll often think of one idea based off of a part of another sketch. That sort of snowballing gives me a lot to work with.
- Mood Board. After I sketch as many possible ideas as I have I like to go online and search general ideas or color schemes. I just use these things to bounce off of and to come up with even more options.
- After sketching I would pick a few designs that I think are the strongest. I’ll import it into my computer to keep my lines if it’s something complex and I think my hand drawn sketch would be better. If not and the idea I had is more important than the lines I drew I’ll just start fresh.
- After getting the design laid out I like to start playing with placement and maybe at this point I’ll switch some things about. I also start to dabble in colors. This may yield a color scheme I love or things I know I’d like to stay away from.
- After that step it generally just become revisions. I like to get as much feedback as possible (from as many people as possible) so I can tweak the design to be the best it can be.